Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Job Hunting + Outfit

It's been six months since I've started my journey of searching for a full-time career. While getting a job isn't the problem, finding one on the other side of the country has.

As nice as it is to be considered locally by so many potential employers, I'm not interested in locking in a career locally. The overdose of Florida heat and humidity and lack of seasons has sold me on my decision to move. It's time to break-away from the same life I've always had and start a new journey. I've lived in the same place my whole life. While I am still young and free to see the world, It's time to move on.

Here's my current problem: It's hard to show potential employers I'm serious about relocating to the other side of the country. A potential employer in Texas will most likely pick a local with the same qualifications over me, mainly because I live 1,500 miles away. That's totally understandable but also very frustrating. I've stated in my cover letter that I'm willing to move at my own expense and asap if needed.



I was told a while back by a career coach to apply for less jobs, but put more focus and energy into each job instead of applying quickly for many jobs. I've had to step up my game and include a personalized cover letter with each company and produce captivating videos for my portfolio. I will spend one to two hours customizing my resume and cover letter for each individual job.

I will sometimes hear back from a company, but not always. Although the advice given to me has helped significantly, once a company finds out that I live in Florida, they no longer want to proceed with an interview. Even if I express that I could move within a couple of weeks, I  would get a letter saying I was denied, or I would get an email saying they would love to set up an interview, but then never respond back. It's definitely frustrating.

My next step is to look for a headhunter and to look into some temp agencies. I've heard those have worked out well for many people.

As for right now, I am continuing to nanny through the summer and get the occasional task from the awesome marketing company that I freelance for. I will continue to apply until I find my career. I'm praying for God's will to be done and am trying to have patience in the process.

This is the struggle I deal with on a day-to-day basis as a post college student. Have any of you have similar experiences?

Dress - Gap (Love this one.) / Shoes - Target (Similar)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed by Beautifully Chaotic